the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Sunday 15 April 2012

kitchen basics: recipe: shortcrust pastry

These days people buy their pastry. it's too easy: go to the supermarket, find an isle full of great big freezers, stroll down with your basket & choose your favourite brand, then convenience food your way outta there, saving yourself the hassle of making pastry! But then...I see having to rely on supermarket convenience as the hassle when making your own pastry, with your own hands, from ingredients of your own choosing, is too easy.

It was, actually, a conversation with my mother about making pastry that decided me into the life of a chef. Over a flour dusty bench, as my mother rolled out her pastry for quiche to take to a work lunch the next day, she told me about the surprise of her work colleagues at discovering she could make her own pastry, make her own quiche, & would be bringing to their party not chips or biscuits or some plastic wrap wonder product from the supermarket bakery section but flans made by her own hand. Frankly, I didn't believe her at first. it just goes to show the things we take for granted...this, afterall, was a woman who baked every loaf of bread we ate when I was a child, who could whip up a quiche lorraine in 45 minutes from scratch & did so, regularly, & who, without labouring the point, instilled in her children a love of good healthy eating not as a luxury but as a simple given. In a nutshell, I'll open a packet if I absolutely have to, but given the option I'll make my own every time.

shortcrust pastry: for pies & flans, for tarts & tartlets, quiche, pasties, & desserts
on ingredients: 
- use a soft flour as for cakes, rather than a stronger bread flour
- my mother used to add a pinch of baking powder, so when I'm making it for me I do too
- for the fat, it's gotta be butter butter butter - cos it butters better
- for the liquid, use water, drop an ice cube in it so it's cold as
- & if it's for something sweet, I usually sieve in a spoonful of icing sugar
on method, the rubbing-in stage:
-this is important, you dont want to melt the butter, or over work it, 
-my grandmother would say not to use anything sharper than your elbows! 
-for me, with always warm hands, I have to avoid using the flat of my hands or butter will melt
-having said all that, if you're using a food processor, pulse a few times til it's right
on method, the mixing stage:
-don't over work the mix, just form a loose dough that holds together & nothing more
-kneading the dough, like bread, forms gluten & makes for a pastry that is chewy & tough
-you want just enough liquid that the dough is almost crumbly, but not sticky
on method, the blind-baking stage: 
-for the beans, any pulse is fine. kidney beans or chic peas, split peas or turtle beans. 
-I use mung beans, mainly cos I opened the pantry one day, saw them there & thought, I'll never ever use them for anything else, they'll be perfect for blind-baking
-keep the beans after use, re use them again & again. Once used, they're good for nothing else so store in a jar & label 'blind baking beans' 
ingredients:
220g flour, sifted
150g butter, cold & cut into cubes
pinch salt
pinch baking powder
an egg
3 or 4 teaspoons iced water
method:
*preheat yr oven to 200
*rub in you flour & butter. use your finger tips, pinch & lift, pinch & lift, til what you have resembles breadcrumbs. 
*combine the liquids & make a well in the flour, add all at once & form a soft dough
*form the dough into a roll, wrap with glad wrap, rest in the fridge for 1/2 hr
*roll out what you need, cut into shape of tin you'll be using, line greased tins 
*now you need to blind bake the pastry cases
*line the pastry with cut out baking paper & fill these paper cups with the blind-baking beans 
*bake for 10 minutes (keep an eye on it)
*remove from oven, remove paper & beans, return pastry to oven for 5 mins (keep an eye on it)
>done! finito!
I like to keep a few muffin sized pastry cases on hand in an air-tight container. They are easy to fill with whatever you like - a little sweetcorn & red onion bound by a quick-fire cheese sauce with parsley from the garden, say, or last night's left over lamb roast, cut up & bound with some peas & gravy, mashed potato piped on top works well for an impromptu pie. Or else fresh fruit, strawberries, with custard or whipped cream & icing sugar on top (sara - that's for you) a sprig of mint finish it off, or even better some of last night's uneaten (yea right!) creme brulee, sprinkled with sugar & scorched with the blow torch...or not. endless possibilities...


No comments:

Post a Comment